If there is a smell of gas in the property, please follow the below steps:
Open the doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
Turn off the gas at the main tap which is usually located near the meter. Move the handle a quarter, turn until it's at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply.
Leave the property.
Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property. The number is free and available 24 hours a day.
Follow the advice given by the emergency adviser.
Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive.
Important Note: If you are feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Smoke or light a match or use any other naked flame.
- Turn any electrical switches on or off.
- Use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark.